Council Notes May 19 2022
Horizons K-8 School
Council Meeting Minutes
Date May 19, 2022
Time: 6:10 pm
Minimum of 20 member quorum established
Facilitators: Mike Ashmore
Notetaker: Maggie Anderson
6:05 Communication Agreements/Procedure/Concordance/Minutes
6:10 Open Forum – Fundraising and Development Committee, HCG Event Calendar
- Committee has been inactive, working to draw down our reserves, looking at what new fundraising activities we could do in the future
- Tyler will join, Mike: goal is to keep number of kids per classroom small, make an explicit ask for funds based on our need, Jessica: ask for funds for student body as a whole, Elizabeth: ask two different times in the year, Rob: who was on this committee pre pandemic? (just Karen is still here) and was it successful, Mike: we are setting up funding system now so we are ready for 2025 when we stop drawing down our reserves, Adam: the idea is that schools shouldn’t be sitting on large sums of money – spend the money on current students, Mike: any interested parties please join the committee
- HCG event calendar – Elizabeth: trying to spread things out so things aren’t crammed into the end of the school year, pancake breakfast – should it be managed by someone else since it’s a fundraiser? Could we do it in September? Fall Dance – fundraiser aspect to it, Fall teacher appreciation – near Thanksgiving? Game night, movie night, spirit week – April, first week of May for national teacher appreciation week, Adam: process of events at the school: go to BPT then to staff meetings
- District Accountability Committee – Still looking for representative
- District Parent Committee – Gena: presentations by superintendent: bilingual education, capital bond, need a new representative next year – great way to be involved without being overcommitted
- Equity Diversity & Belonging – Erica: not in meeting
- Horizons Community Group – Elizabeth: Calendar, open to suggestions for events, wrapping up teacher appreciation, creating processes for events
- Finance Review Committee – Mike: we will revisit the budget once we have the actuals, salaries are increasing by 3.5%, not running aftercare next year will save us money
- Board Report – Mike: hiring ⅚ teacher, BVSD will be running after care next year (Jeanne is retiring), Head of School evaluation: Board chose to continue with Lucas next year as head and school, Elizabeth: what will SAC be like next year as far as playground usage? Pizza Fridays?
6:45 Board Elections
- Question of who can run for board (in past it hasn’t included kindergarten parents)
- Micah: make a motion that at council we enact the changes to the bylaws that were proposed and concorded in April 2020 to revise the restrictions for parent board members who regardless of how long they have been here; Karen seconds motion
- Julie L brings concern that this is a different process than how we’ve done it in the past
- Micah: propose to leave sixth seat open until next council meeting when we know what the rules are around parent eligibility
- Adam says there is a precedent of waiting to vote in members until issues are resolved
- Voted In: Mike Ashmore, Mike Tadros, Elizabeth Parady
7:30 Mission Vision, Values discussion. Notes from last council meeting.
- Brooke: We are committed to personal growth through our academic, social, and emotional curriculum.
- Jess: Each person achieves their own highest standard of academic excellence by delivering authentic learning experiences and curriculum that is personally significant and continues to be relevant in an ever-changing world.
- Previous values start with “we”
- Jessica: We are committed to every person achieving their best through authentic learning experiences and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional curriculum
- Teran: continuous growth, ongoing
- Jessica; We are committed to continuous growth through authentic learning experiences and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional curriculum
- Julie C: we pursue growing academic, etc.
- Peter: We aspire to continuous growth through authentic learning experiences.
- Elizabeth: is aspire passive?
- Mike A: We continually improve our academic, social, and emotional outcomes
- Brooke: We are committed to continuous academic, social and emotional growth through authentic learning
We are committed to continuous growth through authentic learning and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional experiences.
- Mike T: We are committed to continuous growth through innovation, experience-driven academic, social, and emotional curriculum.
- Jessica: We are committed to continuous growth through innovative learning and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional experiences. – OR- We are committed to continuous growth through authentic learning and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional experiences.
- We are committed to continuous growth through authentic learning and the highest standard of academic, social, and emotional experiences.